The 6th Annual Green Home Tour, on Sunday, October 7, is part of the American Solar Energy Society’s annual tour, the largest grass roots event of its kind in the country. This Sierra foothill tour is one of only a handful (so far) such events in California.
The five sites, all located in Three Rivers, are:
• The first CREST (CA Renewable Energy Small Tariff) solar generating facility in Three Rivers. The 48 pivoting arrays can generate 331,200 KW and potentially supply 25% of all of the electricity used by the residents and businesses of Three Rivers. The project will generate revenue for the state, county, and local area, and benefit the environment as well.
• The Baer multi-purpose garage, gym, and yoga studio built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. A 6.5 KW solar system is mounted on the roof, and a west facing green living wall helps cool the space, and is beautiful to the eye. Other extensive green features are too numerous to list here will be shown and discussed during the tour.
• A Cherokee Oaks home with white reflective roof, solar panels, efficient windows, toilets, showers, and appliances. The talented owners have installed bamboo flooring throughout the house.
• The Santa Teresita Youth Conference Center at beautiful St. Anthony Retreat. This new facility incorporates every possible green solution in the layout, construction, and building process. Passive solar features were incorporated, and solar panels are planned for the near future. During the tour, details concerning water use, respect and conservation of the native flora and fauna, and other concerns will be explained.
• A small rustic home with added features, including a passive solarium with a stone jacuzzi incorporating a river rock wall. Other green features include ceiling fans, efficient swamp cooler, dual flush toilets, gravel driveway, removable exterior window shades, instant water heater, and removable loop clothes line system.
Tour Information and Reservations
Due to limited access at each site, you must reserve a space in advance, by calling the tour organizer, Mona Selph at (559) 561-4676. You can choose one of two tour groups. The first tour will begin at noon, and the second one at 1 pm. On Sunday, October 7, we will meet at a designated site, and form car pools to proceed to the five sites by car caravans.
Tickets are $15 per person, $25 per couple. All proceeds will go to the Sierra Club’s Kern-Kaweah Chapter, and be used to promote responsible planning and preservation of green spaces throughout Tulare County.
To read more about the nation-wide American Solar Energy Society’s annual tour, go to this website: